Thursday 21 April 2011

Snail's Coffee

 I found this cafe purely by chance when I was walking between Soongsil University station and Seoul National University station in search of a supermarket. What got my attention was the name of the cafe; Snail's Coffee.For those of you who live in Korea you may have heard of Cat Cafes and Dog Cafes so I thought it was another one of those gimmicky cafes. I mean if you can have Cat Cafes and Dog Cafes why not a Snail Cafe?

Luckily, for me it seems that its only a Snail Cafe by name and not because they have snails crawling around everywhere. Phew! The Korean friend who I was with at the time shouted "Oh my god, it says there are snails in the cafe on that sign!" She got me, good and proper.




Once inside, my first impressions of the cafe were good. The decor was nice with hand painted designs on the wall, lots of cute decorations on the tables and all around the cafe. The cafe has lots of books that you can pick off the shelf and read. One side of the cafe houses manga books (in Korean). The other side of the cafe has a big book shelf with lots of Korean books both fiction and non fiction. I spotted 2 books on my table that were in English. Interestingly, this cafe also has some sketch pads and crayons on one of the book shelves that I assume you can use.






I suppose that's enough about the inside of the cafe.

What is the coffee like you say? Snail's Coffee has one of the widest selections of drinks I have ever seen. They have about 6 pages of the menu dedicated to the different kinds of coffee that they have on offer and a few pages at the back for their waffle menu, tea and juices. The other great thing about this particular cafe, apart from the wide selection of coffees is that it is quite cheap. Most of the coffees are between 3,500 won-4,500 won. Their most expensive coffee is the Dutch coffee which is hand dripped at 8,000 won.  Snail's Coffee doesn't have any point card system, but their cheap prices and relaxing atmosphere more than make up for this.I tried their Affogato for 4,500 won which was superb ^^

This cafe is located on the 2nd floor of a building so if you were not looking for it, you could easily miss it. It's only about a 10 minute walk from Seoul National University station (Exit 7, walk towards Soongsil University) but it's far away enough from the station that not a lot of people seem to know about it. If you want to sit in a quiet coffee shop to get some work done or to just have some peace and quiet in this busy city then this is the place to go. Snail's Coffee doesn't open until 1pm which may be a drawback for some but it stays open until 1am according to the sign on the door. Obviously I didn't visit the cafe at 1am but for those of you who love to drink coffee late at night then this would be a great place to do it. It has a great ambience and I would urge anyone who happens to be around Seoul National Univ. area to visit it.


How to get there: Seoul National University station (Line 2) Come out of Exit 7 and walk approx. 10 minutes towards Soongsil University OR Soongsil University station (Line 7) Come out of Exit 4 and walk approx. 20 minutes towards Seoul National University.

Add: Snail's Coffee
2nd Floor
36-21 Haengundong
Gwanak-gu
Seoul

Tel: 070 7569 4841

E-mail: kdhljp@hanmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment