Sunday 17 April 2011

Cafe Karen

My very first post on this blog will be about Cafe Karen. This cafe is located near Soongsil University and is very popular amongst the students there. I have posted a photo of the outside of the cafe so that you (the readers) can find it easily should you wish to go to this cafe.

 The cafe normally has some tables and chairs outside but this photo was taken on a sunday when the cafe is closed. It was the only time that I could get a clear shot of the outside of the cafe as there are normally lots of students walking past.

The thing that attracted me to go inside this cafe was that it was not part of a chain. I could tell even from the outside that it had a really cute, kitsch, individualistic feel to it so I decided to go in and I was not disappointed.

Here are some photos of the inside of the cafe.





The cafe offers coffee, tea, juices, smoothies and snacks all of which are reasonably priced and are cheaper than a great deal of chains in Seoul. Most of the drinks prices are between 3,500 won and 4,500 won. The most expensive drink on their menu is the home made Omija (five flavored) tea for 5,000 won. Their cheapest being an espresso for 3,200 won. The cafe is quite small and can only seat 26 customers but it has a very cosy and intimate feel to it and for me that just adds to the charm of the cafe. Cafe Karen offer a point card system as do a lot of coffee shops and cafes in Seoul. For every coffee purchased in Cafe Karen you get a stamp on your point card and after 12 stamps you get a coffee FREE OF CHARGE. Unfortunately you can only get a stamp when purchasing coffee and not other things on their drinks menu. 


The staff are very friendly and at least one of the members of staff who I spoke to can speak English. There is also free wi-fi in the cafe, so you will often see students who prefer to work in cafes rather than in the library hanging out in this cafe. I have been to this cafe several times as its close to my home and I can easily see it becoming one of my local hang outs. 








How to get there: Soongsil University station (Line 7) Exit 4, Ediya Coffee and Starbucks are at the bottom of the hill walk approx. 5 minutes up the hill.

Add: Cafe Karen
1st Floor
506-4
Sangdo-dong
Dongjak-gu
Seoul

Tel: 070 7619 7181

Open: Monday-Friday 10am-11pm
Saturday 12pm-10pm
Sunday CLOSED

No comments:

Post a Comment