Monday 2 May 2011

꽃내음 차향기

Oh my goodness. Where do I start? Before my friend and I walked into this cafe it seemed so promising. At first the old fashioned decor seemed kitsch and cool but the longer we stayed there the more we agreed that actually it was like my grandmothers house,well... not my grandmother as she has taste but you get the gist. I digress...

My friend mentioned that they served food at this cafe (which is near her home and mine) so I suggested we meet there for dinner and see what coffees,teas and desserts they had on offer. BIG MISTAKE. We both ordered the Aglio e ollio. It wasn't so bad to say that it was inedible but it was nowhere near good either. First of all, the portion size was so small it was like it was meant for a child. Even my Korean friend who doesn't have a ravenous appetite like me agreed. Secondly, Aglio e ollio normally doesn't have peppers in it. Certainly not huge roughly cut slices of Korean red and green peppers which didn't seem fully cooked, almost as if they were tossed in with the spaghetti as an after thought. Thirdly,there only seemed to a small amount of oil on the spaghetti. Need I go on? I think I have said enough about the spaghetti.

The waitress came to clear our plates and asked us "kenchan at se yo?" the Korean equivalent to "Was everything ok?" My Korean friend smiled awkwardly, as was I if I'm honest. I really wanted to say "Ani. Mad obsoyo" in English "No. The food wasn't good." but of course I did no such thing.

After the disappointment of the spaghetti we discussed whether we should even bother staying for coffee or dessert. My friend then said "I don't think I can trust them to make coffee. I don't think it'll be very good." I countered with "Do you really think they can mess up making coffee or tea?" I looked at the menu once more whilst we were trying to decide whether to stay or leave. It was their waffle menu that did it. We decided to give them one last chance and order a waffle. I guess we thought we were trying to be kind but maybe we are just gluttons for punishment. I said to my friend if the waffle is as bad as the spaghetti this cafe has no chance in hell of receiving a good review from me. We laughed nervously anticipating what disaster was going to come out next. Surprisingly, the waffle looked quite good and it tasted ok. But this is a problem in itself. It was just ok. If I had to sum up this cafe in one word it would be mediocre. Avoid it like the plague.



I normally write the directions to the cafe along with the address and telephone number but I'm not going to do that for this post as I'm sure no one wants to go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment